Back to all positions
Finish Mill Assembly/Machining Apprentice - Waterloo
Job Title: Finish Mill Assembly/Machining Apprentice
Department: Finish Mill
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Date Posted: 4/1/2019
Operates variety of Clamps and uses various machines and handtools to fabricate and repair wooden cabinets and high grade furniture by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by the immediate/acting leadership.
- Studies blueprints or drawings of articles to be constructed or repaired, and plans sequence of cutting or shaping operations to be performed.
- Matches materials for color, grain, or texture.
- Sets up and operates woodworking machines such as power saws, jointer, sander, mortiser, tenoner, CNC machines, and shaper, to cut and shape parts from woodstock.
- Trims component parts of joints to ensure snug fit.
- Glues, fits, and clamps parts and subassemblies together to form complete unit.
- Drives nails or other fasteners into joints at designated places to reinforce joints.
- Marks outline or dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock.
- Sands and scrapes surfaces and joints of articles to prepare articles for finishing.
- Repairs high grade articles of furniture.
- Dips, brushes, or sprays assembled articles with protective or decorative materials such as stain, varnish, or paint.
All associates have the responsibility to meet all of the requirements for their work processes the first time, every time; nonconformance is not acceptable.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In addition, all associates need to be flexible to rotate to various areas within the Company as needed.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or working toward getting a GED within one year.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to leadership and other associates of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rates, ratios, and percentages and interpret bar graphs. Ability to read and compute measurements based on a basic tape measure.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The associate frequently is required to walk and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The associate is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
An associate is expected to follow all safety guidelines implemented as well as use common sense in the work place as related to all safety matters and practices.